Proserve certification is not required for staff working full-time or part-time:
- As kitchen staff, bus persons and cleaning staff in licensed premises
- Where liquor is provided under the authority of a Community Public Resale Special Event licence
- Where liquor is provided under the authority of a Private Special Event licence
- Where liquor is provided under the authority of a Class C licence (Note: the Board may require the licensee to meet ProServe training requirements if the Class C licensee has violated the GLA, GLR, or Board policies)
- Where liquor is provided under the authority of a Class D Sacramental Wine Resale licence.
Minors (anyone under 18 years of age) do not require ProServe certification.
A minor employed as table staff in a Class A, B, or C licensed premises where minors are allowed may not sell or serve liquor. No minor may work as staff in a Class A Minors Prohibited licensed premises, a Class D licensed retail liquor store, a hotel off-sales room, a duty-free store, or any other premises where a "minors prohibited" condition has been imposed on the licence (see Section 5.5 of the Licensee Handbook at aglc.ca).
Private clubs, special events and community fundraisers have the same legal responsibilities as businesses that sell or serve liquor for profit. For this reason, many insurance companies require that people selling or serving liquor have valid ProServe certification at any time liquor is sold or served on their property.
ProServe is available to Class C, Community Public Resale Special Event and Private Special Event licensees at no charge. for more information, click here or contact us. Toll-free in Alberta, call 1-877-436-6336, Mondays through Fridays, between 8:15 am and 4:00 pm.