1. Who needs to be certified with ProServe?
2. Do special event volunteers need to have ProServe/ProTect certification?
Click here for more information on the SMART Programs certification requirements for all liquor and gaming workers (includes volunteers).
3. How do I get my ProServe certificate?
The answer depends on the type of liquor licence the organization has for the event or the type of liquor licence the volunteer works under:
- For Special Event Licence - Public Resale (Community Event), Special Event Licence - Private Resale, Special Event Licence Private Non-Sale or a Class C liquor licence, ProServe training is not required by AGLC policy. ProServe training may be required by the venue operator to meet insurance or facility rental agreement requirements. Please review your rental agreement or ask the manager/owner of the venue you're renting.
- The AGLC recommends that all persons involved in the sale or service of liquor be certified with ProServe. ProServe may be offered at no cost to volunteers selling, serving or providing security under the authority of the abovementioned licences. Contact the SMART Programs office for more information.
- For Special Event License - Public Resale (Commercial Event), volunteers involved in the sale or service of liquor do require ProServe certification. Security guards, as well as managers and owners of security companies contracted to provide security services at a Public Resale Commercial Special Event must have ProServe and ProTect certification.
4. Is the ProServe program offered in other languages?
ProServe can be taken online for a cost of $26.25 (includes GST), in a facilitated seminar for $52.50 (includes GST ) or in a home study (self-directed) course for $59.06 (includes GST and shipping). Click on any of the links for more information about these program delivery methods.
NOTE: Uncertified staff must have valid ProServe certification within 30 days of their employment start date or as of the first date of the special event.
5. I need to get certified quickly. How much time does each of the ProServe delivery methods take to do?
At this time, the ProServe online program is offered in English only (course and the exam).
Audio has been added to the program for people who prefer to learn through listening. You can choose to do the program with or without the text being read out loud. Use the audio buttons to turn the audio off, on, pause or replay it.
6. I need to get my ProServe certification/renew my certification. How much time do I have to get certified?
Online: Most people find it takes about 4 - 6 hours to read through the course content, and write the exam. Your understanding of the information, comfort with online learning, and personal schedule will also affect how quickly you finish the course.
Facilitated seminar: It takes about 6 hours for an AGLC-approved facilitator to go through the course and supervise the exam. The facilitator leads the seminar, answers your questions and supervises the exam. Exams are sent to the SMART Programs office for marking, and your card is mailed to you.
Home study (self-directed): Your understanding of the information, personal schedule, successful completion of a supervised exam, and timely submission of documents to the SMART Programs office affects how quickly you finish the course. Allow additional time for items to be sent by mail.
NOTE: SMART Programs certification cards are mailed within 3-4 weeks of program completion. The rate at which mail is delivered may be affected by adverse weather, high volumes, and/or other conditions. Contact Canada Post for more information on mail delivery timelines.
If you have recently started working in a position where ProServe certification is required, you must be ProServe-certified within 30 days of your employment start date (via the online, facilitated seminar or home study/self-directed program).
If you are not certified, you may not work alone. There must always be someone who is ProServe-certified on shift with you. If you are ProServe-certified and your certification is due to expire, you must recertify before the expiration date on your certificate.
7. My card is lost/has been stolen. How do I get a replacement card?
8. I can't remember my email address. The message on the screen says, "Account not found." "This is not an online account." "This account is not enabled." when I am trying to sign in.
Yes, you can order a replacement card - it costs $10.50 (includes GST). You can order a replacement card and/or print a temporary card from your SMART Programs account by following these steps.
9. How do I create an account?
Contact the SMART Programs office for help in regaining access to your account. Toll-free in Alberta, we can be reached at 1-877-436-6336, Mondays through Fridays, from 8:15 am until 4:00 pm.
10. What is a Registered Gaming Worker Number?
Visit smartprograms.aglc.ca and click on the "Create Account" hyperlink. Enter your information into the fields on the Account Registration page. Check the each field to make sure the information is complete, up-to-date and correct, then click on "Submit".
11. My company's name does not appear on the list. What do I do?
A Registered Gaming Worker Number is assigned if you work at a casino, bingo hall or a racing entertainment centre (REC) as a Registered Gaming Worker (see your approval letter). These positions are listed below:
- Bingo coordinator or satellite game controller
- Bookkeeper or cashier
- Cash cage, count room or hall advisor
- Casino facility operator representative
- Casino, games, hall or pull-ticket manager
- Caller, seller or checker
- Director or manager of security or security guard
- Surveillance manager or Monitor Room personnel
- Pit boss, pit supervisor or dealer
- Slot attendant, cashier, manager or operator
- Slot count room attendant
If your job is not listed here, the Registered Gaming Worker Number field can be left blank.
12. I forgot my password. How can I log into my account?
Most companies that are listed have a liquor licence that is issued in the name of their premises. However, some companies have arranged for the liquor licence to be issued under a different name (hotel, lounge, etc. where you work). Check to see if that name appears.
If your company name still does not appear, or if you haven't been hired yet, type "Unknown" and allow a moment for it to appear in the drop-down menu below. Choose "Unknown" from the list and move on to the next step of registration.
NOTE: Newly licensed premises will not appear in the list until the liquor licence for their premises is active. New employees can sign into their accounts and update their company information after their first day of work.
13. Can I buy a manual?
To retrieve your password, click on the "Forgot your password?" link at smartprograms.aglc.ca. Follow the on-screen instructions. If you do not remember the email address assigned to your account, contact the SMART Programs office.
After signing in, you can change your password on your Personal Information page. Click on the [Edit] hyperlink beside the information you want to change. Follow the on-screen instructions.
14. How do I update my address, place of employment or other account info?
Yes, manuals can be sold separately (GST and shipping charges also apply).
Please call the SMART Programs office for more information. Toll-free in Alberta, we can be reached at 1-877-436-6336, Mondays through Fridays, from 8:15 am until 4:00 pm.
15. I am under 18. Can I get my ProServe certificate?
You can update the information fields on your Personal Information page, with some exceptions (Name, Date of Birth).
To update your account after a legal change of name, follow these steps.
If the date of birth needs to be corrected, send an email to email@example.com. Include your legal name and SMART Programs Registration Number in the subject line of your email. Please be sure your correct date of birth is included with your request. The SMART Programs office will make the correction for you.
You can change the information in almost all of the other fields. Log into your SMART Programs account with the email address and password you assigned to it. Click on the "My Account" menu tab to find your Personal Information page. Click on the [Edit] hyperlink(s) beside the information you want to change. Be sure what you have entered is correct, complete, and up-to-date.
If you do not remember the email address assigned to your account, contact the SMART Programs office. If you cannot recall your password, retrieve it by clicking on the "Forgot Your Password?" link at smartprograms.aglc.ca. Follow the on-screen instructions.
16. How do I change my name on my account?
If you are under 18 years of age, it is against the law for you to sell and/or serve liquor in Alberta.
If you are 18 years of age or older and working/volunteering in a position where ProServe certification is mandatory, you must be ProServe-certified (see the AGLC's Liquor Licensee Handbook, Section 1.6, for more information).
Industry workers can create a SMART Programs account and complete ProServe at any age; however, they cannot sell and/or serve liquor until they are 18 years of age or older (includes processing transactions where liquor purchases appear on the bill).
17. My birthdate is wrong. How do I fix it?
To change your name on your SMART Programs account, follow these steps.
18. How do I know if I have passed the self-directed or facilitated exam?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Add your legal name and SMART Programs Registration Number in the subject line of your email. Include your correct birthdate in the body of the email and the SMART Programs office will make the correction for you.
When you write the ProServe exam in a seminar or self-directed/home study, your exam is sent by mail to the SMART Programs office. Please allow at least 10 business days for delivery and marking.
If you have an online account, log in at smartprograms.aglc.ca to check the Completion Status page for your results. After your test has been marked, your score will appear there:
- If you pass, a ProServe certification card will be sent to the mailing address on your account. Temporary proof of your certification can be printed from your Personal Information page.
- If you do not pass, a letter will be sent to the mailing address on your account to explain what you can do to retake your test.
- If your account is not accessible online, the SMART Programs office can apply the necessary login information so that you can access and manage your account information. Contact the SMART Programs office for help.
NOTE: Results are generally delivered within 3-4 weeks of your exam date. If you have passed your exam but did not receive your certification card, click here. The rate at which mail is delivered may be affected by adverse weather, high volumes, and/or other conditions. Contact Canada Post for more information on mail delivery timelines.
19. How can I buy an activation ticket for my employee(s)?
20. How do I find the activation ticket codes after I have purchased them?
- Go to http://proserve.aglc.ca
- Sign into your SMART Programs account.
- Choose "Program Options" from the menu bar, then "Activation Tickets" from the drop-down menu.
- Review the on-screen instructions. Choose the "Buy" button from the appropriate boxes: online, facilitated seminar or self-directed ticket acquisition box.
- Choose the number of tickets required and click on "Add to cart".
- Follow the on-screen instructions to verify and submit your purchase.
21. How do I use an activation ticket from my employer?
The tickets are found under the account on which they were purchased. To view your tickets:
- Go to http://proserve.aglc.ca
- Sign into your SMART Programs account.
- Choose "Program Options" from the menu bar, then "Activation Tickets" from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the "View" button.
- Scroll down the page. The tickets will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Use the check box beside each ticket to keep track of which activation tickets have been issued.
- Once activated, the user's name and activation date will appear beside the ticket code.
- Go to http://proserve.aglc.ca
- Sign into your SMART Programs account.
- Choose "Program Options" from the menu bar. Choose your preferred program delivery method from the drop-down menu: online training, facilitated seminar, or self-directed.
- Then, click in the round circle to "Activate it using a ticket from your employer" and enter the ticket letter code into the box that appears.
- After the ticket has been accepted, follow the on-screen instructions to start your program. To take the program at a later time, sign out of your account. When you log in again, choose "Program Options" from the menu bar and then "Online Training" from the drop-down menu.
- Click on "Step 1: View Course" to begin the ProServe online training. The program material (includes online assignments, unit tests, ProServe certification agreement, and questionnaire) must be completed before you can click on "Step 2: Take Exam".
Fees and Payment
22. How much does it cost to take ProServe?
23. How can I pay? What forms of payment are accepted?
The cost of ProServe depends on the delivery method you choose:
24. Can I use my company card to buy ProServe for my staff?
We can accept Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit cards. Cheque and money order payments, payable to the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, are also accepted. Mail your cheque or money order to:
- Attn: SMART Programs
- c/o AGLC Head Office
- 50 Corriveau Avenue
- St. Albert, Alberta T8N 3T5
A receipt will be sent to the email address on your account. A copy will be permanently saved to the Order History page on your account.
We are unable to accept payments via PayPal or other internet banking service providers, and cannot accept VISA Debit or other debit cards. For your security, please do not send cash through the mail.
NOTE: Visa/MasterCard/AMEX gift cards and pre-paid credit cards have different features and functions. Some can be used for in-person transactions and cannot be used to make online purchases. Additional registration and activation fees may also apply. Please read the terms and conditions that come with your pre-paid card so that you understand where and how it can be used. If you have questions about your card, contact the credit card issuer.
SMART Programs also provides a secure, interactive way to pay for your program or program materials using your telephone keypad. Contact the SMART Programs office toll-free at 1-877-436-6336 anytime between 8:15 am and 4:00 pm, Mondays through Fridays, to use this service.
25. Do I have to pay first before I can start the course?
Yes, the name on the credit card does not have to match the name on the account. Ensure you have a receipt of the purchase for your business and/or personal records.
26. Are NSF (Not Sufficient Funds) fees charged?
Yes, payment is due before training is provided (online, facilitated seminar and self-directed).
27. How can I print a receipt or view my order?
Yes. If a cheque payment is returned as NSF, a $10.00 administration fee will be added to the outstanding course fee ($26.25 + $10.00= $36.25). Challenged credit card transactions are also subject to a $10.00 administration fee, in addition to the outstanding course fee.
28. Can I get a refund for my ProServe purchase?
You can print a purchase receipt from the Order History page of your account at any time.
Go to http://smartprograms.aglc.ca. If you cannot recall your password, retrieve it by clicking on the "Forgot Your Password?" link at smartprograms.aglc.ca. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Once you have signed in, choose "My Account" from the menu bar, and then "Order History" from the drop-down menu. Click on the order to view the receipt and make a copy for your records.
Refunds are issued according to the SMART Programs refund policy. To view it, click here.
29. What minimum system requirements does my computer/device need for me to take ProServe online?
30. How do I start my ProServe program?
The minimum system requirements are:
- Windows XP and newer; Mac OS 10.3 and newer
- Internet Explorer 9, Mozilla Firefox 12, Google Chrome 18, or Safari 5, and newer
- Adobe Flash version 9 or higher to play the SMART Programs videos
- Adobe Acrobat Reader, free download
- Sound card and speakers are recommended
- High speed internet is recommended
NOTE: Security settings and/or other restrictions placed on computers in public places or businesses may restrict users' access to some course content, the online exam or limit some functions on the SMART Programs website. Contact the IT professional at your workplace for assistance or use a computer/wireless device without these restrictions. Browsers not listed above may not display program content correctly.
31. I just paid to take the ProServe program online. How many days do I have to get certified before the program is dropped from my account?
Go to smartprograms.aglc.ca and sign in. If you cannot recall your password, retrieve it by clicking on the "Forgot Your Password?" link at smartprograms.aglc.ca. Follow the on-screen instructions.
After signing in, choose "Program Options" from the menu, and then "Online Training" from the drop-down menu. Click on "Step 1: View Course" to begin. All of the program material, including the certification agreement, online exercises, unit tests and questionnaire, must be completed before you can choose "Step 2: Take Exam".
32. Do I have to finish the course in one sitting?
You have 30 days to go through the program, pass the exam and get certified. Check your online training page to see the last date of program access. If you have not successfully completed the program, online assignments, unit tests, questionnaire and final exam by that date, the online program will be dropped from your account.
If you have valid ProServe certification, you can view the program, online assignments, unit tests and questionnaire for five (5) years less 60 days from the date your ProServe certificate was acquired. An email will be sent to the email address on your SMART programs account sixty (60) days before the expiration date on your certificate, as a recertification reminder.
No, you may enter and exit the course, sign in and out of your account, etc. as often as you like within 30 days of online course activation. Access to your program is dropped 30 days after activation. Please see the Online Training page to view the last date of access.
33. I am ready to take my ProServe test, but can't find it on the website. Where is it?
34. How long is the test? Is there a time limit?
After signing in, choose "Program Options" from the menu, and then "Online Training" from the drop-down menu. You will be able to click on "Step 2: Take Exam" after the program material, certification agreement, online exercises, unit tests and questionnaire have been completed (see "Step 1: View Course").
35. Once I start the test, can I exit and come back later?
The exam has 35 questions.
You have 45 minutes to take the test. A total of 5 exam attempts are given to you with each online course/activation ticket purchase.
36. Does the test need to be supervised?
If you accidentally close the test window, you will be able to reopen it if the time limit has not expired.
The test is not an open book exam. Once you start the exam timer, you cannot go back in the course to look for answers to the questions. Read through the test questions carefully to be sure you understand what it is asking. Then read through each of the four possible answers. Choose the best answer.
If you have additional time left, review your answers. Click on the "Submit" button when you are satisfied with your answers and want to submit your test for marking.
37. How do I know if I passed?
The ProServe online test does not need to be supervised.
Exams that are written in person (facilitated seminar and self-directed program) do require an AGLC-approved supervisor to administer the exam and mail it back to the AGLC.
38. If I failed the test, can I take it again?
When you submit your online exam, a message should appear on screen within a few seconds stating that you have passed or that you did not pass. You can also check the Completion Status page of your account.
A mark of 80% or higher is needed to get your ProServe certification card (28 or more correct out of 35 questions).
39. How can I see the questions I got wrong?
You have 5 attempts to pass the final exam. You may take the test again right away if you did not pass.
To view the details of your last exam attempt, sign in to your account and click on the Completion Status page. Click directly on the test score to find out what sections of the course need more review. Take some time to look through these sections before trying the exam again. The SMART Programs office is unable to provide feedback on individual test questions.
NOTE: Some test attempts result in a fail if the user's Internet connection was suddenly interrupted or dropped. Contact the SMART Programs office to have any lost attempt(s) restored to your account.
40. Can I review the course before I take the test again?
To view the details of your last test attempt, sign in to your account and click on the Completion Status page. Click on the test score to find out what sections of the program need more review. Take some time to look through these sections before you try to do the exam again. The SMART Programs office is unable to provide feedback on specific test questions.
41. Who can see my marks?
Yes. Each section can be accessed through "Step One: View Course" on the Online Training page. Click on the "Contents" button to find the section(s) you'd like to review.
42. Can I get a temporary card once I pass the test?
Details about your test attempts belong to you, the registrant. Your scores and the details about them can be viewed from the Completion Status page after you log in. Administrators of the SMART Programs and AGLC inspectors have access to this information to administer the programs, confirm program completion and meet regulatory requirements.
The AGLC does not share information with third parties without your consent. For more information, please see the Privacy Statement page of this site. To protect the security of your information, do not share your login or password with anyone.
Your employer can confirm the validity of your certification using the certification check feature at smartprograms.aglc.ca. You are required to provide your employer(s) with proof of your certification (photocopy of your card or temporary card) for their records.
Yes. If you need immediate proof of your training, print a temporary card from the Personal Information page of your account. From your Personal Information page, view the courses listed in the AGLC Course Information field. Click on the "Card" hyperlink next to the program you need certification for. Follow the prompts to print a temporary card.
You are required to provide your employer with proof of your certification while you are waiting for your card, and keep a copy on your person at all times when you are on shift.
Transfer Training From Another Province
43. I have training from another province? Do I still need ProServe? Is my previous training transferable?
44. Is my ProServe certificate valid in other Canadian provinces?
For more information on transferring responsible liquor service certification acquired in another Canadian province, click here.
NOTE: Licensees and AGLC inspectors do not recognise responsible liquor service certificates issued by other provinces or territories. You must show proof of your ProServe certification to confirm that you're certified in Alberta.
Not every Canadian province recognises the responsible liquor service certification that is issued by another province. Contact the responsible liquor service program service provider for the province you will be working in to see if your ProServe certificate can be transferred.
NOTE: The procedures for transferring your responsible liquor service certificate may vary from province to province. Contact the service provider for more information.
45. Does ProServe training expire?
46. How do I re-take the course if my training has expired? How do I recertify?
Yes, all SMART Programs program certifications are valid for 5 years. An email is sent to the address on your SMART account to advise that your certification is due to expire within 60 days.
To recertify, you must complete the course, certification agreement, all exercises, questionnaire and pass the exam. Upon successful completion, your certification is valid for another five years.
Liquor industry workers employed or volunteering in positions where ProServe is required must recertify before the expiration date on their certificate (there is no "grace period"). Uncertified workers who provide liquor sales, service or security services put the licensee at risk for a penalty (warning, fine, licence suspension or licence termination). For this reason, many licensees choose not to schedule staff or employees who are uncertified.
To recertify early (before the 60 day reminder), contact the SMART Programs office.
To recertify, follow these steps. Once certified, your training is valid for another five years.
You can use the same account you had when you were last certified. If you do not remember the email address assigned to your account, contact the SMART Programs office. If you cannot recall your password, retrieve it by clicking on the "Forgot Your Password?" link at smartprograms.aglc.ca. Follow the on-screen instructions.